Friday, February 15, 2008

Femmes vs Fish

This wek I watched a lot of televeision. On average probably about 2-3 hours a day this week. The show that I watched the most was MTV's "America's Best Dance Crew". This show takes dance crews from different regions of the US to battle to battle for the title of the "Best Dance Crew". In this competition there are two female dance crews "Fish N Chicks" and "Femme 5".

"Fish N Chick" is described as a hardcore, gritty dance crew that hits movements hard "like a man" This comment disturbed me because I feel females can dance with intensity and hardness without being manly. Dance is for everyone and it isn't gender-specific.

"Femme 5" is characterized as sexy but classy. I thought their description was off because booty shaking no matter how well you do it is classy. In my opinion, all they do is shake their booty and flip their hair. I do agree that they are not overly sexualized in their actions but they still play up the more sexier movements to play to the crowd.

It's funny that the female groups are either characterized as feminine or masculine but not in between. Shows that even when there is solidarity (female groups) there is separation.

1 comment:

OnMyWay&MakingIt said...

I appreciated the link to the clip -- I'd heard about the show but had not seen it. It was nice to see the first group wearing clothes that weren't overly sexualized but the judges' comments were a little disturbing -- being compared to men, etc.

This show might be something good to focus on for your final paper!

Nice work!